Thursday, September 10, 2009

1 in 600

"Only 1 in 600 Pit Bulls will find a home - For every Pit Bull placed in a loving home 599 die."


The rest are put to sleep for nothing more than being what they were born as. It saddens me as I look at my little brindle female with her bright white nose and stripe between her eyes and her bright and sunshiney outlook on life. All the world is a playground is my sweet little girl's thought. Unless there's yelling or thunder or gunshots. Then the world is a huge scary place for her. Every stranger is a new person to lick, a new person to rub her belly and love on. If you've never seen a dog smile then you've never looked at my Willow. She loves life, and she loves you. Even if she doesn't know you. I look at her and it brings tears to my eyes as I type, this thought that darkens my thoughts tonight. If we lived in a different part of the country, or even in a different county the animal control officers could come and put a catch pole around my little brindle princess, even though she'd follow them with her tail wagging all the way to their truck with no leash or catch pole, just because they may have cookies for her...and put her behind bars, her days numbered.
My gaze goes from Willow, wagging her tail, even in her sleep she's happy, to my boy. My muscular, macho little boy with his dark fur in stark contrast to the bright white of his toes and chest. Ever the protector, always on the lookout to ensure no one is trying to hurt his mom. Quick to growl, even as he's hiding behind my legs..or more commonly as he's approaching you and licking your hand. His little way of saying I like you, but you're still a stranger so please keep a safe distance from my mom until I've smelled you and made sure you're safe. My burly little hooligan who loves nothing more than running after sticks and tormenting his older sister by running past her with a stick and then evading her attempts to steal it. Who is so excited to see his family that his whole body shakes with the ferocity of his tail wags. He would be put down because he's scared, no one would take the time to get past the growls and grumbles that are all talk. They wouldn't care that he's scared because his Mommy's ex room mate's husband used to beat him while mommy was at work and she never knew it until much later...all they would care about is what they would view as aggression.
I saw a shirt today, it had four squares lined up next to one another, each with a picture inside. A black man, a Latino, a Chinese man and a Pit Bull Terrier. The caption underneath reads "Racial profiling is unfair". Damn right it is. Breed restrictive legislation is just an extension of racism. A way to legitimize racial genocide.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment